Erectile dysfunction is also called impotence, and it is the failure to get and keep an erection required for having sex or intercourse. Time-to-time erection problems are necessarily not a cause of concern. Persistent erectile dysfunction problem due to stress can interfere with your relationship, lower your self-confidence, and causes relationship problems.
What are erection problems?
When men cannot get or keep firm and enough erection required for sex, this problem is called an erection problem, impotence, and erectile dysfunction. This can be normal under certain circumstances. Erectile dysfunction can occur at any age. However, it is most common in older age men. People suffering from chronic diseases such as diabetes, and heart problems are at high risk of getting erectile dysfunction. A variety of treatments are available to manage this problem.
Causes of erectile dysfunction
Various causes can contribute to erectile dysfunction, which can be described as,
Physical causes of ED
In most cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by something physical. Common causes include:
Some of the physical causes are
- Heart disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease (growth of scar tissue inside the penis)
- Some prescription medications
- Use of tobacco
- High cholesterol
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Damages or operations that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
Psychological causes of erectile dysfunction
The brain controls various physical events that are responsible for erection. The brain plays an essential role in initiating feelings of sexual excitement. Several things may obstruct sexual feelings and leads to erectile dysfunction, such as
- Depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues
- Relationship problems due to poor communication and stress
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
The primary symptom of erectile dysfunction is insufficient erection for intercourse. Erectile dysfunction symptoms might include persistent:
- Reduced sexual desire
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection
Erection takes time when you get older, and you might not achieve the desired erection. Other than age, some other risk factors lead to an improper erection, such as
- Medical conditions à Specifically heart problems and diabetes
- Tobacco use à Limits the flow of blood to veins and arteries and can cause chronic health conditions which cause erectile dysfunction
- Being overweight àUnhealthy diet and when you are obese
- Medical treatments à Prostate surgery or radiation treatment for cancer
- Injuries à Principally if they harm the nerves or arteries that control erections
- Medications àMost commonly, antidepressants, antihistamines, and medications to treat hypertension, pain, or prostate conditions
- Psychological conditions à Stress, depression, and anxiety
- Drug and alcohol use à Chronic and long-term drug abuse or heavy drinker
Diagnosis of Erection Problems
Mental health tests and lab tests help determine the basis of erectile dysfunction. Other than this, counseling sessions with your doctor are also useful for investigating your health issues and for physical examination.
Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction
Primary causes of erectile dysfunction can be treated or managed by various methods. It’s a personal decision to select an ED treatment, or might be your health care professional suggest the treatment.
Lifestyle changes are necessary to overcome the problem of erectile dysfunction. Modification of lifestyle includes,
- Refrain from smoking
- Discontinue drinking alcohol
- Increase physical exertion and maintain a healthy body weight
- Stop illegal drug use
You can consult your health care professional if you feel problems while making lifestyle changes.
Go to counseling
Arranging a counseling session with your doctor helps to minimize erectile dysfunction. Counseling solves emotional and psychological issues that contribute to erection problems. With the help of counseling, your doctor focuses on treating the physical causes of ED.
How do doctors treat erectile dysfunction?
One of the common approaches to managing erectile dysfunction is the use of oral medications such as
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
- Tadalafil (Cialis)
- Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
- Avanafil (Stendra)
These medicines enhance the blood flow toward the penis by relaxing smooth muscles.
The use of testosterone is also common among men suffering from erectile dysfunction. Increasing the level of testosterone boost your energy and treats erectile dysfunction.
Prescribe injectable medicines
Injecting alprostadil into the penis increases the blood flow and causes a stronger erection. It causes automatic erection of the penis, which oral medicines cannot achieve.
Discuss alternative medicines
Most people prefer to use natural medicines to treat erectile dysfunction. Various vitamins and mineral sources contribute to treating erection problems. A combination of certain compounds may also lead to health problems.
Treatment facilities for Erectile dysfunction at American Male Wellness
At American Male Wellness, true health and beauty are believed to begin at cellular levels. American Male Wellness offers various facilities to treat specifically male-related issues, most common erectile dysfunction.
Following the latest facilities are available at American Male Wellness to treat erectile dysfunction